More than 2 million registered Palestine refugees live in Jordan.
Most Palestine refugees in Jordan, but not all, have full citizenship. There are ten recognized Palestine refugee camps throughout the country, which accommodate nearly 370,000 Palestine refugees, or 18 per cent of the country total. Jordan hosts the largest number of Palestine refugees of all of the UNWRA fields.
Nearly ten thousand Palestine refugees from Syria (PRS) have sought assistance from UNRWA in Jordan. The majority of them are believed to suffer from abject poverty and live in a precarious legal status. UNRWA is working to accommodate PRS children in its schools and to provide relief and health care to those in need.
FACTS & FIGURES
- 2,070,973 registered Palestine refugees
- Ten camps
- 173 schools, with 116,953 pupils
- Two vocational and technical training centres
- 24 primary health centres
- Eight community rehabilitation centres
- 12 women’s programme centres
Figures as of 1 January 2014